View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe series of books i thought were superb.
I read, as I've already said, voraciously. But the real beginning for me was the ONLY Enid Blyton book I ever read. It was called "Tales from Long Ago" and was her re-telling of Ancient Greek myths with a few stories from "The Arabian Nights", including the "Voyages of Sinbad", thrown in. I was eight years old when I got these stories and impressed my teachers at school by having a damn good stab at some of the names in the Greek myths. They encouraged my reading, as did my parents, and rarely criticised my choice of book whether fiction or fact. I quickly graduated to Verne and Burroughs (Edgar Rice not William S.) and from them to Michael Moorcock, who is still probably my favourite author.

Elric and his Soul-drinking Sword, Stormbringer SHOULD be brought to the screen. So should other heroes created by Moorcock like; Dorian Hawkmoon von Koln, Corum of the Scarlet Robe/Silver Hand and Jerry Cornelius. But you can bet your life that some twerp will get hold of them and turn them into pale imitations of the great figures that they are just like they did with John Carter. Why can't they please, please, please just take the page and put it on the screen!
Maybe, just maybe that might be enough to encourage kids to read the stories again and put imagination back into the minds of our future writers, film and television series makers.

I apologise I did not mean this to turn into a rant but it did. I am now sat here with a lump in my throat that seems to be made entirely of nostalgia, impotent rage and fear for the future of fantasy. I think that I'll go and start watching "Dune Apocalypse" and see if they did the book, "Children of Dune" any disservice.

Monster Magnet