View Single Post
Old 21st May 2013, 07:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS 3 - Or 'Zombi 4' or whatever it's called. I do really like scraping the bottom of the barrel of late eighties Italian schlock. This is pretty action packed, with some gore and loads of pumpin' era-appropriate electro rock. Yes, it's bad. Really quite bad. I enjoyed it, though.

BABYCALL - Frosty and alienating take on bereavement and madness. I thought it was excellent, bleak, genuinely unsettling and actually pretty heart-rending. Others have compared it to Polanski.... 'Repulsion' isn't far away. Very much recommended.

LET ME IN - It's been ages since I saw the original, but this follow-on seems pretty impeccable in terms of summoning a grim atmosphere but still managing to seem bitter-sweet. The ghostly mist of Reagan era America is really well evoked. Sad and disturbing, and thankfully some mainstream movies these days are prepared to be both.

COME OUT AND PLAY - Those pesky kids are at it again, and this time they're really kickin' ass. Essentially a remake of 'Who can Kill a Child?'. It really brings home how disturbing its subject matter is. I mean, it's not just 'Night of the Living Dead' with kids instead of zombies. I don't know how much this update actually adds to the original beyond some more graphic violence, but it's well made and frightening. I recommend it.