View Single Post
Old 25th June 2013, 07:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
So, even though everyone else seems to dismiss it, I actually think it's one of Bava's best. I realise he was just a director-for-hire on this one, and since it's all a bit rushed, Bava just seems to throw all caution to the wind and directs with abandon. I love the film. It's a cheeky study of avarice and how people can go to extremes for money. I mean, the bodies are piling up in the freezer and still all the survivors are focused on doing a deal with William Berger's character - in spite of the fact they're all being murdered one-by-one. And notice the staircase in the middle of the room, Bava keeps filming it at such an angle to make it appear like a dollar sign. Genius.
Nice assessment. Think I've only seen it once, maybe I'll give it another go. I just remember it as a bunch of verrry uninteresting rich folk in one boring house being picked off verrry slowly (offscreen) one by one. I do love a funky score though, maybe I'll watch it again just to listen out for that . . .