View Single Post
Old 6th July 2013, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

When a Stranger Calls (2006)

My follow up film to A Field in England. I just wanted something that might prove diverting and an easy watch. When a Stranger Calls is certainly that.

I haven't seen the original that this film is a remake of so have no comparisons. I did however enjoy this version of events from Con Air director Simon West. The plot is quite simple. A girl goes to babysit two young children at a secluded modern mansion. Once there she is plagued by silent and disturbing phone calls with the possibility that she may actually be in grave danger.

West pushes the film along at a frantic pace reminiscent of his usual action films to the point where i wasn't bothering to reason the situation and allowed myself to just go with it. The house where the action is set is a fantastic place - huge glass windows, a fabulous indoor aviary with amazing water features, all in all a great place to be stalked by a lunatic. Camille Belle the star of the film, seems a likable lead and does a decent job holding the film together which is just as well as she is onscreen for pretty much its duration

I can imagine watching this in the cold light of day rather than nearly one in the morning and pulling the plot apart, but i didn't do on this viewing and ended up enjoying this fun horror thriller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-When_A_Stranger_Calls.jpg (8.8 KB, 5 views)