View Single Post
Old 8th August 2013, 08:04 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
There are already other labels such as Raro , Camera Obscura, Koch media ect that consistently restore and release interesting titles.
Personally i like Italian cinema and there are a lot of classics that have not seen a release since the 80s
The irony here is that Raro are re-releasing Nightmare City too

I do agree that I prefer more unknown niche titles myself, but speaking as a film fan, Arrow's release schedule this year has excited me much more than the above companies you listed. Koch in particular are a funny one, as although they sometimes release some interesting titles, they also release a lot of mainstream stuff like The Bay, Moon, The Raid, Super etc. I guess titles like this are their 'bread and butter' which allows them to take a chance on some other more cult fare.

Camera Obscura have some fine releases (particularly their giallo titles), but they release about two titles a year, so are a very niche collector's label unlike Arrow, Scream Factory etc. which average around 2-3 titles a month.

Deals also play a big part. It's obvious that both Arrow and Scream Factory have deals with MGM, Fox and Universal amongst others and often receive a 'package of films' they can release, so why not release them - even if they've been released before.