View Single Post
Old 10th August 2013, 09:13 AM
Cultist

I feel like I need to add in a counter point to all those blindly supporting the need for the dvd format. First of all I appreciate that when there's no hd material to get hold of then there's no blu ray to be made.

But the collecting market has changed over the years to where a lot of collectors just aren't buying DVDs at all. All the friends and family I know that aren't collectors are now moving over to streaming.

There's a good reason why Arrow (and other successful UK labels like SecondSight) release everything (but the odd arrowdrome dvd) on blu ray - that's where the collectors demand is. There's a reason why Arrow's output has dramatically increased over the years because they're taking advantage both of the hd format and increasing their online presence.

Shameless are fool hearty to rely on the impluse buy from retail stores (which are steadily disappearing and more than ever relying on mainstream titlea for sales) to amount to any SUBSTANTIAL sales. Now I know that Shameless will have sales stats for low uptake on THEIR blu rays (well at least two of them!) because no one wants to own cut movies in this day and age especially when they are alternative blu ray releases avaliable for those two both uncut AND cheaper than the Shameless discs.

Like I said I can imagine that there's no HD material for the two newly announced titles (but I wouldn't rule it out - there's a bunch of US labels putting out the most random movies in [good looking] blu ray) so thats fair enough but things are a changing in the collectors market, something that a lot of people here seem to be oblivious about (or more likely putting their head in the sand). By all means buy them to keep your Shameless spines growing but don't expect many others to blindly do the same.