Thread: Horror Comics
View Single Post
Old 14th August 2013, 06:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

You are all too young to remember or, perhaps, to even know of the existence of the "Dracula" comic and "Science Fiction Monthly" of the early 1970s from the New English Library publishers.

I used to deliver the newspapers as a teenager on Standon Road in Wincobank, Sheffield. Almost every week I would hand most of my wages straight back over the counter for a comic or magazine the two main culprits were "Dracula" and "Science Fiction Monthly" or "SFM".

"SFM" was huge, I not talking about it's circulation but it's size, it was the size and format (yes, loose-leaf) of a tabloid newspaper! This gave it a great advantage over other magazines in that all the full colour, full page sci-fi artworks were easily removable, some were even double spread, to make instant art for your walls.

"Dracula" was a real hippy-trippy mix of horror and fantasy with some fantastic art. I really shouldn't have been buying it as I could understand less than half of it and have problems with it to this day but it looked so sexy that I couldn't stop myself! I still have the annual, somewhere in the bottomless pit that is the spare sleeping cave. Here are a couple of piccies to whet your appetite, I expect that any surviving copies of either are going for silly money now.

dracula annual.jpg

I apologies for the haphazard nature of these pictures but they are from multiple sources, enjoy!

Monster Magnet