View Single Post
Old 14th August 2013, 07:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)

I've owned this film for three years and always put off watching it. A bit of madness on my part because its an absolutely terrific film. It tells the tale of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, and stars Charlton Heston, James Stewart, Betty Hutton, Cornel Wilde, Gloria Grahame and Dorothy Lamour.

In addition to the stars the film also features the real B&B / RB circus of the time, with its complement of 1400 people, hundreds of animals, and 60 carloads of equipment and tents. The actors learned their respective circus roles and participated in the acts.

The acts are phenomenal and really exciting to watch especially Wilde and Hutton on the high trapeze. Cecil B. DeMille's direction is flawless and he ensures a two and a half hour film flies by in a script full of drama, passion and excitement.
I love this movie! It used to be on telly regularly as I was growing up but it never seemed to be that long, I can't even remember going to the loo while it was on, certainly not when I was sat in the living room any way!

Monster Magnet