View Single Post
Old 21st August 2013, 07:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'm sure some of the "life" may be down to the band Coil. I seem to remember they claim to have introduced Barker to the gay S&M scene when they were working with him on the HELLRAISER soundtrack. Coil, as I recall, say there was not so much leather, rubber and chains in Barker's original script until after a few weeks of clubbing with them. How true this is, I don't know.
I'd say Barker really embraced Los Angeles and all it's hedonism when he moved there in the 90's - I mean a lot of characters in his books are the very same - seeking out those strange exotic pleasures. I remember a gay friend of mine telling me amazing stories about the underground clubs in NYC, and I imagine LA would be similar - so I suspect Barker did his fair share of hellraisin' over the years...

I think the Coil story is largely true as well. John Balance in an 1992 interview spoke about their involvement with Hellraiser: Clive Barker was writing a screenplay and he came to our house and took away a load of piercing magazines and things. Which is where they got all the Pinhead stuff from. In fairness though, Barker's 1978 short The Forbidden has plenty of scenes of sharp objects puncturing flesh and there are some prototype Hellraiser ideas explored in in.

And word has it that Coil were pretty intense hedonists as well, so much so that an exhausted Steve Thrower bowed out during the Love's Secret Domain sessions...