View Single Post
Old 1st September 2013, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched Brides last night and can I say from the off that I have no knowledge as to the original theatrical look of this film. So here are my opinions, firstly Chroma looks like it has been boosted for the most part and fluctuates in intensity from scene to scene a prime example being Van Helsing's Tweed jacket when he is talking to the village priest regarding the death of the girl, it a appears a reddish brown instead of grey. Also some heavy handed contrast boosting seems to have been applied with whites almost glowing in some scenes. Grain I feel is heavy but never really distracting and I am happy that it is still in place instead of what might have been.
The aspect ratio is obviously incorrect a good example being when Van Helsing reveals the bite on one of victims neck you can just make out one puncture wound the other drops out of shot.
As I say though I have no prior knowledge as to the look of this film but I would love to know where the print was sourced from, who did the clean up and transfer and the reasons for taking the decisions they did.
It is still very watchable despite of it's faults and will suffice until maybe one day we get a much better release