View Single Post
Old 9th September 2013, 11:26 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
That's the thing. The new Trek films were designed to be well made crowd pleasers free from the baggage of previous Trek films and series.

The trek fans voting it "the worst movie of the trek franchise" was just pathetic. If people care that much they even made the new films alternate universe so the exisiting series continuity is just fine and dandy for the hardcore fans. There are a lot of far worse Trek films out there, most of the Next gen movies after first contact for starters. These films were designed to bring in newcomers to the franchise and get people who normally would not watch trek to actually give it a go.
After watching the first new Star Trek film, I put some of the old/original ones on my rental list and, ironically, saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan shortly after, but still a long time before watching Into Darkness. I do have a memory from when I was young of watching a film where Spock talks to a whale, but that's it.

Of course I know about the characters and other things from all the pop culture references including on Futurama and this song: