View Single Post
Old 24th September 2013, 07:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I saw this at Frightfest and actually liked it better the the first one (which is still one of the better remakes). I thought the cinematography was better than the first film. I particularly the idea of the 'underground' locations. The actress playing the central female character did a quite a good job aswell. And, yes as the above review said, it has very graphic rape and revenge scenes. The last revenge she minced out had me and every other guy in the audience squirming in their seats.
But you know what, like The Seasoning House from last year doesn't deserve the criticism it got for its rape scenes and violence (which. unknown to some it seems, was not filmed in an exploitative manner but rather to highlight the appalling and very real sexual abuse of women in conflict zones) I think all these scenes do is show rape for the vile act it is and makes the revenge/torture scenes understandable. This is something you don't find, in say Hostel, where the gory torture is just there for pure shock purposes and to make the audience go eww.

The other difference between these and such films as Eli Roth's Hostel films, the later SAW sequels, Uwe Boll's Seed and Hidden In The Woods (from Frightfest 2012) etc is that they contain characters that are played well enough that I actually care about them when they get hurt.

In regards to it being cut. I believe that the version shown at frightfest was a special 'festival cut' which wont appear on the UK's DVD/BluRay release.