View Single Post
Old 26th September 2013, 07:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I fully appreciate the different views on Holocaust, there are convincing arguments on both sides. Personally i just think its Italian schlock, nothing more nothing less.

If you have the opposite view then thats ok by me. We aren't going to suddenly change our minds with a few typed lines on here.
It's strange - I rewatched CH he other day. I didn't review it, because I didn't see the point (I didn't want to inflame the whole animal cruelty thing again, which would've taken up all of the five lines I usually give myself). I do think it's a desperately cynical film on all kinds of levels, and, because of the nature of the nihilism it so virulently displays - I'm not just talking about the obviously exploitative elements - it reaches a cognitive threshold that few genre flicks at the time even aspired to, but, simultaneously, in terms of the imagery and tone it deploys, it plumbs depths few filmmakers of the time would want to associate with either. Except for the Mondo crews it seems to want to satirise. Out of all the screwed up films I've seen, it's still one of the ones I find most difficult to talk about.