View Single Post
Old 15th November 2013, 11:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Last couple of films I saw were two of Hammer's near the end of their (then) demise.

These were.....

Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell.

I really enjoyed this one. The expected great performance by Cushing, decent looking sets and visuals, excellent support from the rest of the cast - in particular the guy who plays the monster and gives the character great empathy - and some great individual scenes that show just how mad the baron has become - oooh, kidneys! - all make it in my opinion the second best Hammer Frankenstein film, bar Curse.

Overall 8/10.

I then watched The Legend of The 7 Golden Vampires.

I also really enjoyed this one as well. The mix of kung fu and horror made it a interesting watch. The two elements were handled well together with some energetic kung fu scenes and vampire 'melting' scenes keeping the film going at a good pace. The character of Vanessa Buren played by Julie Ege, despite not a particularly impressive performance, was also interesting as she, arguably, unlike a number of examples of women in more traditional hammer horror, isn't essentially a damsel in distress. Cushing again, gives a great performance. I felt the visuals in this film in particular were very striking and colourful - almost Bava-esque - and this also really helped to keep me engaged.

Overall 8/10.