View Single Post
Old 15th November 2013, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
First SK book I read was Pet Sematary back in 1990 when I was 11, scared the crap outta me, loved his work ever since
It seems the general consensus is that Pet Sematary has a massive effect on adults compared to kids. Kids either loved it or got scared. But I always read about how the book bothers those with kids and I can see why. Gages death is incredibly merciless (need I also mention the fact that King foreshadows it many times beforehand, which just adds suspense). This section here is heartbreaking-

("Kite Flyne!" Gage cried out to his father, and Louis put his arm around Gages shoulders and kissed the boys cheek, in which the wind had bloomed a wild rose.
"I love you Gage," he said-it was between the two of them, and that was all right.
And Gage, who now had less than two months to live, laughed shrilly and joyously, "Kite flyne! Kite Flyne, daddy!")

I don't believe that any other set of characters in a King book suffer more than the Creeds. And I can see how a mother or father would tremble at the mere thought of a similar tragedy.