View Single Post
Old 16th November 2013, 08:39 AM
Cult Addict

Well I WAS supposed to be doing a ton of overtime only to get a call saying the store had overspent on its hours and it was all cancelled... So I ended up watching a bunch of films instead...

Started off with getting another two redemption blu-rays watched...

Female Vampire

I've always been take it or leave it with Jess Franco films and honestly if this didn't make up the numbered spine set i'd have probably left this one. I know some people like the film but for me its always been very bargain basement wannabee Rollin. There are some nice scenes and the constant unending sex scenes are admittedly entertaining but I want a little 'more' with my eurohorror and this one has always been a little dull for me.

Exorcism

Much better. Franco plays a nutty priest out murdering women to save them from evil. Previoulsy released as sadist of notre dame this is for me the polar opposite of Female Vampire and a much more interesting film in terms of how it's shot and its ideas. It subverts the traditional exorcism movie and makes it all about the priest and his obsession with evil. The 'posessed' are all simply part of the permissive society who stage black masses for their own entertainment.

Moscow Zero

Been sat on my shelf for ages. Vincent Gallo, now in a severe career downturn thanks to Brown Bunny is a priest who heads to the underground of Moscow to find his friend and finds a lot more in the process including a bored looking Val Kilmer waiting for his cheque! Not a bad film but not especially memorable either, could not reccomend it unless you find it really cheap.

Strigoi

Fantastic english language tale of an outbreak of vampirism in rural Romania. This is a film about folklore and heritage that's charmingly written and acted. Uses its themes to explore the importance of heritage, land and the chequered history of the region through the Nazi's, Russians and Communists.