View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:44 AM
Cult Addict

Watched the old Bela Lugosi flick 'Murders in the Rue Morgue', it was ok But not particularly impressive. Bela's a kinda freakshow type bloke with a gorilla who is given over to ranting about how we are all descended from apes, much to the disgust of the locals, and when he's not doing that he's abducting women.
He's injecting his victims with gorilla blood for some bizarre reason that i'm still not sure of.
Not a great film though the end was ok and it had some nice photography in places and seems to be partly influenced by 'Dr Caligari'. 5/10

Next was 'The House where evil dwells', a early 80's cheesy haunted house story starring Susan George and Doug Mcclure which i found quite disappointing.
A couple and their daughter move to japan into a house where a bloke killed his wife and her lover. Soon spooky(ish) happenings begin occurring, masks fall off walls, their daughter sees a screaming blokes face in her soup(?), and the couple keep getting taken over by the spirits who live in the house(who make them do stuff against their wills).
This could have been interesting but the ghosts all stand around being dull and are presented as normal people but a bit faded and blue.
The only scenes of interest are the initial murders, the final scenes that suddenly go a bit kung fu briefly, Susan George getting 'em out and a bizarre scene where the couples daughter is terrorised by crabs, who knew crabs could climb trees(?), even this quite creepy scene is ruined by weird overdubbing of the Japanese ghosts voices making strange noises.
This was directed by Kevin Connor who gave us the great 'From beyond the grave' and 'Motel hell' and the enjoyable 'At the earths core' and ' before time' films. I'd say watch those instead. 5/10