View Single Post
Old 10th January 2014, 01:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=Frankie Teardrop;386622]THE PURGE - I approached this with caution following some negative reviews, which tended to accuse the film of doing little with its central idea (ie every year, America suspends the legal process and all 'crime' goes unpunished) beyond laying on a standard home invasion scenario. There's some truth in this, but I thought 'The Purge' was very effective and enjoyable, providing suspense and a satisfying whack of violence in place of truly engaging social commentary (which it seems to want to attempt, but like may mainstream efforts, it hedges and bungles when it comes to the cards on the table). Maybe it's not a "Death Race 2000" type critique of American brutality - a broader canvas and steelier resolve would've helped - but as far as multiplex exploitation goes, you could do way worse.

Problem I had with the purge is the concept and idea of everyone having the chance to do what they wanted for one night without any comeback was something new and fresh and a good idea that could have delivered so much but failed, don't get me wrong I highly enjoyed the film it was good but just ended up going into the concept of you've seen it all before ..

Last Vegas saw this at pics this week it just a light hearted humour that I quite enjoyed with a few good laughs as long as you don't take it to seriously and don't expect to much or being The hangover for oap ..

ATM not a good film but not a bad film either , the acting and film itself was very good and well made with the right ingredients atmospher, tension etc only downfall was the storyline was plain daft stupid and could have been so much better, film about 3 people go to a ATM machine inside a glass box but end up being terrorised by one bloke, there was so many things they could have done but went down the daft route eg when the killer was round the back breaking the wall they all could have ran even if it was in different directions that way if the killer was to chase them he only catch one, but they chose to stay put and wonder what he was up to, and when one ran for it and got attacked, other two later on escaped but instead of making a run for it they run to their friend and drag him back in, a worth watch but daft storyline and plot .