View Single Post
Old 12th January 2014, 07:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Attachment 128204

River's Edge

Watched this tonight with my daughter,it's a film i've always liked since i first saw it on Vhs but is a film that is largely forgotten.
Directed by Tim Hunter who also directed some episodes of Twin Peaks, and it's easy to see why he was chosen for that job after seeing the parallels in this film.
Basically a teenager kills his girlfriend and leaves her dead body at the river's edge then arrives at school and calmly tells his friends what he has done.
Unbelieving at first they accompany him to see the corpse, what follows is why i find the film so interesting.
Instead of reporting him straight away to the police, the friends are divided and don't know what to do.
Keanu Reeves is one of the main characters and this is one of the few films in which i don't find him annoying, one of his first roles he seems genuine as one of the only teenagers who realise the horror and informs on his friend.
This also stars Crispin Glover in another one of his bizarre performances as a friend of the killer who wants to protect and support him, Glover's performance is really entertaining and quite funny as he tells everyone not to panic but does exactly that.
Add to this Reeves crazy delinquent 12 year old brother(the weird kid from Near Dark) and Dennis Hoppers dopehead, paranoid, blow up doll obsessed performance and the result is a pretty strange brew.
The film is chilling in how the kids react (and in some cases don't react to the death of a friend), and i find it absorbing,disturbing but also entertaining.
For me 9/10
Superb film, apparently based on a true story!

Went off to Blackpool. Found a bunch of studio Ghibli dvd's in a charity shop for a quid a go. Got my Del boy hat on and went down to the local CEX where on an outlay of £8 I got over £40 trade!

Used some of it to get THE WOLVERINE.

I had mixed feelings coming in to the film. X-men, X2 and First Class are all great but Brett Ratner's awful third film and the origional wolverine film were both colossal turds.

Glad to say this is more on the side of First class et al.

( I should say now I picked up the 3d release with the extended cut on it)

It's a well crafted and entertaining affair with a surprising amount of bone crunching violence as Logan heads to Japan to meet a man he saved in WW2 and gets involved in a corporate conspiracy that involves Yakuza, Ninjas and a big robot. Thor dark world was still the best superhero film of last year (followed closely by Iron man 3) but i'm hoping that this film represents a continued upturn in quality for the x-men franchise.

The fact that you have to buy the expensive 3D edition to get the extended cut is frankly disgusting though so I'm glad I bought this one second hand. Will get Thor brand new.