View Single Post
Old 12th January 2014, 01:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
We've been through this before and I said about 'A Bug's Life' having more image top and bottom in its 4:3 form but funnily enough you ignored that lol. Same with Terminator 3 showing Terminator breasts in 4:3 but not widescreen (BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO SEE THEM).

As for that link saying: ---'Stagefright was shot full frame, and matted for theatrical presentation, however, in its full screen video form, the viewer is actually seeing the whole picture, as is the case with most of Stanley Kubrick's works.'---

'Whole picture' is different to 'intended' picture, the 4:3 was just keeping TV and video in mind, not shooting FOR it, for instance 'The Shining's' intended viewing ratio is 1.66:1 and we haven't even had it released like that yet, which is very annoying.

If Soavi comes out and says Stagefright is meant to be viewed in 4:3, then fair enough, but so far you're just using your own viewing tastes and almost spreading disinformation. People who see you saying 'if it's not released in 4:3 it's a waste of time' mi ght be put off buying it unnecessarily.
Its not just my viewpoint though. A lot of fans of the film skipped the blu/anchor bay dvd releases and opted for the ec release i linked above because its the preferred ratio for them. If people want the matted version then fine but im not "spreading misinformation" I could level the same argument straight back for saying "its a widescreen film" when it 4:3. Outside the bu release on dvd the closest home video presentation ive seen in widescreen was the redemption tape at 1:66.

Honestly. If asked for my opinion. If the release is presented 16:9/1:85:1 i would be more than happy to reccomend not buying the film. But then we dont know what the disc is going to feature yet it could contain the option of both ratios and be an essential purchase. Given the dvd releases from bu and anchor bay were so dissapointing im just erring on the side of cauton. Also bugs life and t3 were intended as theatrical presentations from the get go as they were both big budget studio pictures. Stagefright was not.