View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The first time i saw Season of the Witch (a couple of years ago) i was seriously underwhelmed by it all. It must be the films witchcraft that has drawn me back a further four times since and it gets better each time. At this rate it will soon be my fave Romero film, i'm not kidding either.

I watched The Night of the Devils on New Years Day (night), i'd been saving it for a special occasion as so many had recommended it as a Gothic gem. Seriously grimy opening aside i felt it was so, so dull. Based on The Family of the Vourdalak by Tolstoy it had been filmed previously by Mario Bava as part of the excellent Black Sabbath. Bava's film is an utter delight from start to finish, the entire story takes place in a third of Night of the Devils running time and it shows. Devils felt so long winded and much of it lacked atmosphere.

I noticed Upstream Color got a 4 star review in Empire and had already put it in my Amazon wishlist. Your excellent take on the film only reinforces my need to see it.
Yeah, totally agree on all three counts - just wish 'Season of the Witch' had a better presentation, 'cos that one from Anchor Bay looks a bit shite really. But I don't think the elements are available, which is real shame as a full blown restoration / revival could put Romero in a slightly different context.
'Night of the Devils' was a real disappointment for sure. Like you, I'd kind of been hanging on to it 'till the right moment and was certain I'd love it... only to leave feeling short changed and empty handed.
As for 'Upstream Color', I have a feeling it'll be as divisive as 'Only God Forgives', with which it shares only a certain marmite factor... but it is unique, and it's heartening that risks are still being taken and things like this are being put out. The director did another film about ten or fifteen years ago which again was critically well received and was a sort of hard-to-follow minimalist sci-fi by all accounts, but I haven't seen it. Might try it this aft as I think it's on Lovefilm streaming.