View Single Post
Old 20th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The OPA isn't so much a problem as the Dangerous Pictures Act. Under the OPA nothing can actually be legally classed as obscene unless a jury in a court of law deems it obscene. And only then that it will offend its intended audience. That's how it's supposed to work anyway. Technically, the DPP's list was only a list of prosecutable titles - only a handful were actually classed as contravening the OPA in a court of law, in their uncut form at least. The DPA on the other hand almost gives the license to brand something as obscene without ever seeing the inside of a court room. Therefore it's probably the ridiculous DPA that will cause more headaches these days.

A question, though - I'm to understand that the BBFC keep a copy of all submitted material on file. Aren't they technically, then, in possession of illegal material, if it does indeed breach the law? They sure have the powers of the gods there at the BBFC, don't they? Watch everything uncut then tell us what we can and can't watch. It's a ridiculous state of affairs. What kind of totalitarian regime are we living under? I'm glad the BBFC have moved with the times - but I can't help feeling insulted when they decide that something I might view will actually cause me harm or make me a danger to society. Why? Because I don't move amongst 'polite society' and too uneducated to able to properly digest and distinguish what I see on screen? It's ****ing bollocks. Let me judge for myself. By all means classify and restrict viewership to the proper age groups - but to outlaw something completely because it might trigger a sex offender is ridiculous. Show me concrete evidence that genre films do this and I'll listen. Until then, they're talking out of their arses. I've seen many nutters over the years claiming 'God told me to' and yet I see no blanket censorship of religion - why? If religion triggers religious mania, why not ban that too?