View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I loved Upstream Color. Loved it. And although I couldn't even pretend to understand the majority of it, I found it really easy to like and go along with, which can't be said of all films which are as atypical or fall under the avant-garde - a credit to Carruth, really. I accepted it as a stream of conciousness, but there is some sort of twisted sense to its extra-sensory threads, as well as a good old fashioned love story to hang on to. I gained more from readers of the film than what Carruth himself has actually said about it - he's (I assume deliberately) vague on what it's all about. Either way, I fell for its hypnotic quality and found it a far more substantial film than (the still rather excellent) Primer. I think the comparisons to Malick on a visual front are certainly accurate as are the Cronenberg nods, and that's how I somewhat flippantly described the film to my girlfriend after watching it (while waxing lyrical over its utter strangeness).
It's obviously a difficult film to take a position on as far as 'meanings' go, but I guess it's kind of about the fragmentation of individual consciousness in the face of a nebulous (and slightly dark) universality - but there so many themes alluded to, which kind of connect and diverge in shimmery, opaque sort of ways. I liked the way it seems blank and austere on so many levels, but it evokes a lot of feeling towards the end - I found it really moving (and maybe just a little bit cheesy) when they reconnect with all these pigs. Wish I had the time and patience for multiple re-watches.