View Single Post
Old 20th August 2009, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I have a feeling that the BBFC don't actually believe that a film will make somebody commit a crime directly from watching a film but certain images in a film could be seen as normalising deviant behaviour to those who are disposed to such behaviour,so if you are a rapist, then repeated scenes of rape in a film that shows no consequences for the crime could normalise rape.In "Grotesque" the female victim and male victim are both masturbated to orgasm by the killer thus implying that sexual assult is a pleasurable experience.As dvd can be replayed and edited at home,I'm guessing that the BBFC are concerned such scenes can be taken out of context and used to fuel fantasy which in a very few people becomes reality.
I get all that. But then apply the same to all media. In some genre books I've read there is often graphic depictions of sexual assault, graphically describing the feelings and emotions of both victim and perpetrator. Or in Gangsta rap where women are often referred to in demeaning terms and also in much stronger terms. If you're going to apply this rule of possible harm, then apply it to everything, why only to visual media?