View Single Post
Old 21st August 2009, 10:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

But again, I ask, 'deprave and corrupt' who? Why can't the BBFC and their panel of experts actually define who it will 'deprave and corrupt'? That's my problem - there's this creation of a Boogeyman, that a film like this will cause danger out there...somewhere. They don't know where and to whom...but it might. So we start to move into the area of thought-crime or even anticipating criminal behaviour that hasn't happened yet.

So...my question to the BBFC is this: define exactly who will be affected? Although I can see in certain instances the link between sex and violence in films - most notably in scenes of rape, obviously, it doesn't create that correlation in me. For it to do that I would already have to have made that link within myself, to have connected to that concept. If I've already done that, then surely any scene depicting violence towards women would have the effect of arousing me. Wouldn't it? So just who are these dangerous people out there and - more importantly - have any sex crimes ever been committed as a result of watching a film like Grotesque?