View Single Post
Old 4th February 2014, 08:18 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

As said in the last post, I have been going a bit mad for Spaghetti Westerns lately. Nothing like sticking on a Western with a bowl of pasta, wearing boots and a pistol in your hand.

Recently watched,

No Room To Die
(AKA A Hanging For Django)

Being relatively new to the genre, this one is probably the weakest I have seen so far. It had a lot of great moments though and Anthony Steffen is excellent in the lead, giving ol' Clint a run for his money. The film is probably stolen by William Berger's twisted 'priest' though with his six-barrelled shotgun. A great final standoff but a little tricky to follow (I was feeling ill so it may have been just that!). The film had some really exciting shots in that really get the blood pumping. It kind of reminded me of Sabata a little bit, although it's nowhere near as crazy. It was also directed by SS Experiment Camp's Sergio Garrone too!

3/5

And I have just finished watching

A Lone And Angry Man
(AKA A Coffin For The Sheriff)

Now we're talking! Although not quite as visually stunning as the last film, ALAAM is a very, very solid Spaghetti Western. A story of revenge in which a stranger (the scene-stealing Anthony Steffen) joins a group of bandits who killed his wife, hoping to find the murderer in the gang and kill them. There's so many great scenes here. I love the test the bandits put our hero through - he must outsmart an opponent with 12 bullets with just 2 (which he uses perfectly!). The ending is fab too (lots of jumping out of windows) and the odd bit of comedy in here really works in the form of the crazy old fool.

Plus, it has such a cool soundtrack - a little like Django's theme tune. Excellent stuff

4/5