View Single Post
Old 4th February 2014, 08:57 PM
Active Cultist

Well I gave the Carrie remake every chance - respect for the lead actresses and of course King's story made me flout my self imposed remake ban. Not great. The opening half hour is particularly grim - Morentz is a bag of tics and never convinces, the prayer den cupboard replete with handsome Jesus is resolutely unterrifying, Moore is too restrained, scenes are botched by out and out poor direction (the exploding water cooler a prime example - no tension whatsoever). Things get a little better as we approach the revenge phase, although there's none of the chemistry Spacek and Katt brought to the budding romance - it all feels rote, dull foreplay before the gory orgasm. Predictably it's here 2013 scores a few points - IMO the car stopping and face through the windscreen are the only two scenes that improve on the original, although the sense that Carrie is out of control and almost a slave to her powers is lost - here she's more like a cross between Magneto and David Copperfield. Sissy did it all with her eyes and was ten times scarier. The final scene? Bloody awful. I think the 49% on RT for this is fair, it's bog standard. Now, dare I brave the Robocop remake? Decisions, decisions...