View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There's no question the BBFC have moved on in leaps and bounds over the past few years and, indeed, it it highly unusual for them to cut a film these days, never mind ban it. I'd certainly have them over the MPAA or ( god forbid ) the German censors any day. I think it's ( yet again ) their inconsistancy here. Why is Grotesque suddenly more 'harmful' than Saw / Hostel / Martyrs and any other number of 18 rated movies that have featured extreme violence and / or sexual violence?

It's a similar situation to them passing Irreversable uncut, yet removing 16 seconds of fumbling from Tombs Of The Blind Dead. Or, indeed, Shameless' own Venus In Furs.

From what I've read and heard, this ban has been widely criticised by the general public, so the widespread public support for this action isn't there - including the Daily Mail's own website, interestingly enough.

Part of me ( the cynical bit! ) wonders if maybe Grotesque was a bit of a kneejerk reaction to recent pressure on the BBFC from certain quarters?
MoJo,

In films like Saw and Hostel, violent as they are, there is no sexual violence and very little in the way of sexualised violence, this is in contrast to what happens in Grotesque. Also in Saw/ Hostel, there are often fairly lengthy gaps between the violence. I know in the first Hostel, there was hardly any violence in the first half. In the case of Grotesque it would appear to be totally unremitting. Also Violence, sadism and sexual sadism for the sake of it. It's not surprising it fell foul of the VRA.

The reason the BBFC passed Irresversible uncut in 2002 was because there was nothing to cut. The rape scene did not focus on the woman's naked body like it clearly did in Tombs of the Blind Dead.

I'm glad that the general public are not suportive of the ban although I wonder how many of them have actually seen it.

To have passed Grotesque uncut would have put the BBFC in a difficult position as it would mean they would not be able to justify the cuts or bans to numerous other films in recent years which were all cut and banned for the same reason.