View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thanks for the reply, angel. You have a good insight into the BBFC's workings and I always enjoy reading your posts.

I personally have been a big supporter of the BBFC in recent years and I understand why certain ( very few ) titles can run into problems. It really is unusual for a film to be cut, let alone banned these days, so maybe this is why this has caused such a stir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
I'm glad that the general public are not suportive of the ban although I wonder how many of them have actually seen it.

To have passed Grotesque uncut would have put the BBFC in a difficult position as it would mean they would not be able to justify the cuts or bans to numerous other films in recent years which were all cut and banned for the same reason.
I haven't seen Grotesque and I'm sure I can happily live my life without it, but I guess the public rejection of this is more based on the principle of being told which movie an adult can and cannot watch, which, let's be honest, has always bugged fans of the horror genre!

The BBFC's worry about justifying other cuts is interesting. My only worry is this could work the other way round and those advocating more censorship could point to Grotesque and argue why the BBFC could'nt have cut / banned other similar movies.

I applaud the BBFC for the way they have treated horror movies in recent years. I just hope this doesn't inadvertently lead to backward steps in future releases of films which, up until this point, would have remained uncut.