View Single Post
Old 18th February 2014, 09:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
With so many great films being released on BD in France, I thought it time that the territory gets its own dedicated thread and what better to kick off with than the classic 1974 Dracula from director Dan Curtis with Jack Palance - always a favourite of mine:

Release date is February 4th:
Dracula et ses femmes vampires [Blu-ray]: Amazon.fr: Jack Palance, Simon Ward, Nigel Davenport, Pamela Brown, Dan Curtis: DVD & Blu-ray
DVDbeaver review of the Curtis Dracula and it is a thumbs up:

Quote:
Firstly, Bram Stoker's Dracula was an English-language TV movie from 1974 although it did get a theatrical release in 1978 in Denmark. The 'Opening', French Blu-ray is transferred in VC-1 / 1080P, at 1.78:1 with an original English language option, without forced French subtitles, and in the disc is region FREE. The image quality looks superior to SD and is probably quite accurate to its initial appearance (excepting it was originally in 1.33:1). It is only single-layered with a modest bitrate. There are some speckles and is nothing particularly dynamic - visually-speaking. Detail is impressive in the frequent close-ups. This Blu-ray has a nice realistic feel with a reasonable film-like sense to it. Visually this a simple HD transfer without any exceptional attributes but the presentation is without any dramatic flaws either.
Quote:
Audio :
Audio is offered in an original 2.0 channel (via the menu with no forced French subtitles) via a DTS-HD Master at 1712 kbps. It sounds good and the music is reminiscent of TV supernatural stuff of era. Robert Cobert (similar Dan Curtis/Richard Matheson - vampire related like excellent the TV series of Kolchak The Night Stalker - and the pilot-films (The Night Strangler / The Night Stalker) and The Norliss Tapes. I LOVED all that stuff. The score is pretty similar to the supportive music in those titles - and works to build the supernatural aura and heavy tension. There is an optional French DUB and/or are optional French subtitles (removable when the English audio is chosen) and my Oppo has identified it as being a region FREE playable on Blu-ray machines worldwide.
Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray - Jack Palance

My order is in