View Single Post
Old 16th March 2014, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What you say is certainly true. I did think the Daleks in The Stolen Earth were scary. You can only base fear on a reaction, and the reaction of Sarah, Jack etc to the Dalek voices booming through the com systems brought with them great fear. I remember watching it with shivers running up my spine. Shame RT-D ballsed it all up with Journey's End.
How I remember watching RTD's two-parter. The trailer's and general hype surrounding the return of Davros. Stolen Earth certainly was a fairly decent first part. The Dalek's looked and felt like an old enemy ready to lead the charge against the Doctor. But what was Russell thinking about when we had that rather stupid love fest in the TARDIS towards the end of the story. Davros, the ultimate creator of the Dalek's reduced to a whimpering lump of jelly, and the resolution to Journey's End certainly felt like a rush job. Julian Bleach gave us a truly generous performance as Davros, only to see it all destroyed in the final part. Yes. Russell just didn't have the balls of a true Welshman to see it through. Sorry Russell.

I will say that RTD did deliver some more intresting individual stories like Midnight and Gridlock. Gridlock felt more to me like a Slyvestor McCoy adventure story from the Virgin New Adventure range of books back in the 1990's. Fear I suppose is what you don't see, just like Midnight or the very first Dalek story, The Daleks. Just that lone sink plunger moving foward towards Barbara was perfect for it's time. Will Phil Ford with the aid of Steven Moffat deliver something as memorable in episode two, series 8???