View Single Post
Old 28th March 2014, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I've been watching a few films lately starring Lino Ventura, who is one of my favourite actors:

Taxi to Tobruk

Set during World War 2 in Eqypt, a group of French soldiers are trying to get to El Alamein - their truck is blown up when one of them unwisely targets a German plane with machine gun. They then trek across the desert, come across a group of German soldiers relaxing, kill them and take their truck. What they did not know was that there was one survivor. And the film is about how they cope. Good fun, well acted, although the film did end a little suddenly and abruptly. Olive's BD is very nice.

Classe Tous Risques

Ventura plays Abel Davos, a gangster who fled from France to Italy and in the meantime, was sentenced to death in absentia. He's trying to get back to France due to depleted funds - and he comes to realise times are changing, some for the better, more for the worse. Really, really good film.

The BFI disc has also a doc on Ventura which is really well put together, and you get to learn a fair bit about him. In fact it has inspired me to get a dvd boxset of his other films - Le gifle, Le 7iem Cible, and Le Silencieux. They have not got English subs; I'll find a way to muddle through. He's just terrific.

Back to the BFI disc, one of my contenders for best disc of 2014 so far.

Touchez Pas au Grisbi

This was a rewatch, but even better the second time. It's a talkie gangster film - there's not much action, but when there is, it's got it where it counts.

Jean Gabin plays the main character, Max, an ageing gangster; I won't say much more, except Lino Ventura also stars and that this is Gabin's fim - he is magnficent in this. He's very regal and classy - every gesture is considered and nothing is out of place-, and when the situation demands, he performs with full honours. Same goes for the Chief.

To Max - a true friend.

Wondferful, wonderful film - highly recommended.