View Single Post
Old 19th April 2014, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Well how do i ask? Maybe a kickstarter would encourage a great massive set like the dawn of the dead.
There's no point asking anyone - Arrow is well aware of the importance of this title and its appropriateness to their line-up, and their in-house technical guru James White has explicitly said that he'd love to work on a restoration. His exact words:

Quote:
I’d also love to do a proper restoration of Night of the Living Dead. It's already been released on Blu-ray a couple of times by the likes of Network and StudioCanal (née Optimum Releasing), but none of them are right. It's been out of copyright for years, which is part of the problem.

However, the original materials are still with [director] George Romero and his producer. So, hopefully, one day we can see a proper release done at the level it deserves. Because that film - the film that arguably ushered in the new wave of modern horror more than any other - should look and sound a lot better than it currently does.
So from that you can conclude that it's out of Arrow's hands right now.

Incidentally, while there will undoubtedly be more Arrow Kickstarters, it wouldn't really be appropriate for a project like this. Night of the Living Dead is one of the most important horror films ever made, and if I was George Romero I'd only want to grant access to the original negative to a distributor who agreed upfront to underwrite all the relevant costs - why would you let someone access something so valuable otherwise?. Arrow's sole Kickstarter to date has been to fund the restoration of a film that has always had very limited commercial appeal, and future crowdfunding campaigns will most likely be for similarly risky projects.