View Single Post
Old 27th April 2014, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Re: stupid MP3 volume nonsense, decided to buy a 4gig player as it was on sale new for £10!! so loaded it up with WAV files with ease but... yep, volume so low as to be useless outside, Metallica is just no good if it's so quite you can't hear it over a passing car, it seems that the Euro legislation guff is true, so I had to set the in-built FM radio to U.S. frequency to fool it into giving more volume, the Euro setting gives only 2/3 volume(far too low for outside listening), now I understand that some people(including kids) turn the volume up to full and damage their hearing, but really, volume so low that quite music is virtually silent outside?? Some classical music is simply inaudible in town centres, my mate has a theory that it's more about stopping the annoying 'tizz,tizz-ching,ching' coming from peoples earbuds/headphones in enclosed spaces like public transport and shops than protecting users ears.

As most MP3 players have volume control from 0-30, capping it at 20 while fine for inside use is no good for outside travel (which is what the whole Walkman culture is about) GRRRRR.

for the record I normally have it set at 23-25 outside, great for both classical and harder rock music.