View Single Post
Old 13th July 2014, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict

Stoker

stok.jpg

Been meaning to watch this for a while because i'd heard good things about it, finally got round to it the other day at a friends house, during the film she said it reminded her of a Hitchcock film but couldn't remember which one. Looking around on google i found that there are some similarities with the set up for the film Shadow of a doubt, but i haven't seen it so can't say anything more,just thought that was QI.
Anyway, I really enjoyed Stoker, for a film with some quite big stars it seemed quite subversive (i'm thinking about the shower scene for instance ).
From the start it's well made and draws you in with nice photography and quite an unusual style and is quite hypnotic i found.
Made by the director of Oldboy(which i think is the only film of his i've seen) from what i can make out it retains his visual style and experimental nature but restrains his excesses while keeping his dark intensity.
Out of the main characters Kidman is the weakest link as the girls selfish self obsessed mother, but she's still good in this.
The geezer who plays the Uncle gives an intense but controlled performance that i thought worked well but Mia Wasikowska stole the show for me and really held the film together.
Parts of this film reminded me of Psycho 2 & 3 for some reason, but thats not a bad thing.
I hadn't read much about it and wasn't aware of any of the story when i watched it and this was a good thing as i just got swept along by the film.
Recommended 9/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.