View Single Post
Old 26th July 2014, 03:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Fantasia Day 1-9 catch-up

Some quick thoughts on the other films I saw so far:

Demon of the Lute - being shown for the first time in nearly 30 years a strange martial arts film.

Patch Town - quite brilliant kids musical which explores some of the darker secrets of the life of a Cabbage Patch doll.

Late Phases - really likeable unlikeable central character, a blind man with a caustic cynical wit, who battles werewolves in his gated retirement community.

Life after Beth - superb comic zombie romance. This should be on your must-see list for Fright Fest (and almost every other summer festival).

Suburban Gothic - another brilliant horror comedy. Recommended.

Zombie TV - the worst film of the festival so far this made-for-tv anthology is not as smart or funny as it thinks it is. Perhaps one for Japanese enthusiasts only, and even then I am not convinced.

Jellyfish Eyes - sweet Japanese kids film.

Red Family - a north koran sleeper family find their values challenged by the family next door.

White Bird in a Blizzard - super thriller.

Reconstruction of William Zero - a man tries to recover from the loss of his son and collapse of his marriage by cloning himself.

Cybernatural - a quite brilliant found footage film for the social media generation. I hope that the Firghtfest guys pick this up for their Halloween edition.

In Order of Disappearance - already shown in Edinburgh this Norwegian black comedy was wonderful.

No Tears for the Dead - South Korean action film which is reminiscent of classic John Woo. It seems that the South Koreans are the current masters of action film.

Fatal Encounter, The - overly complicated martial arts film.

Huntresses, The - Charlies Angels in medieval Korea? Enjoyable vapid fun.

Kumiko the Treasure Hunter - a woman undergoes a mental breakdown as she searches for the buried loot from the Coen brothers movie Fargo.

Prom Night - classic 80's horror

Faults - a man sets out to deprogram a cult victim. Recommended.

Predestination - time travel movie based upon a Heinlein short story. Takes a good 45 minutes to get going. But once it gets going its worth the wait. Not the best time travel film of the fest.

Just over halfway through my visit with 9 days and 28 films down and 8 more days and 31 more films (perhaps 32 I still have one ticket to choose) remaining.