View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2014, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
In a Lonely Place - What a performance by Humphrey Bogart in this study of an embittered screenwriter with serious anger management issues and a shady past. Is he a killer though? It's hinted throughout that WW2 has screwed Bogie up but it's never addressed directly - if remade today this motivational stuff would be spoon fed to the audience but here it's left to the actor and remains ambiguous. Compulsive stuff and pretty tense for what is, essentially a character study.

The Killers (1946) - the first 15 minutes of this movie is truly incredible - Tarantino and Cronenberg amongst many plagiarists. The rest is brilliant too, Ava Gardner is hot, the Russian Doll plot is still innovative. Can't wait to see the 64 version and indeed the Tarkovsky (got the old 2 disc Criterion DVD for a tenner - well worth a pick up, picture is perfect and extras plentiful). I'm finally getting over my blu ray or nothing phase, pleased to say.

The Graduate - can't believe I'd never seen this, a real classic - music a bit overused for me - got a bit sick of Scarborough Fair in particular, but it's a minor quibble. How influential was this movie? Answer - extremely. Love the Mrs Robinson character and her twisted motives - thought initially she was protecting her daughter from suffering her own fate, when in reality she was just a selfish narcissist happy for (her) history to repeat itself. Except it's not quite that simple, of course....

Quick request - anyone seen/got an opinion on any Atom Egoyan movies? They're all 6 quid in Fopp for the blu rays but I've no idea if they're worth a punt. The Sweet Hereafter and Exotica look up my street from the descriptions. Cheers.
Atom Egoyan is well worth a punt. I would definately start out with Exotica and sweet hearafter and then work through the rest of his stuff.