View Single Post
Old 9th August 2014, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Agree to disagree on that, I've watched the film four or five times so far and still enjoy it. While I enjoy the purge I thought YN was the better film that year.
I have yet to see The Purge or its sequel, but just didn't connect with You're Next. The characters were unlikeable, to the extent where I couldn't care less whether any of them lived or died - in fact most of them I wanted to exit stage right as soon as possible - and the plot twist came as no surprise, or perhaps I'd just given up caring by then anyway... I quite liked the gimmicky animal masks but that was about it.

I haven't seen too many of the horror offerings from 2013 (I'd rather curl up with some '70s/'80s schlock or a '60s gothic curio from my ridiculously large watch list where horror is concerned, than invest my time in some of these modern conveyor belt monstrosities), but I did prefer You're Next to the terrible and yawn inspiring The Conjuring and Mama, plus the annoyingly pointless Evil Dead remake/reboot/rehash. Oh, and Ghost Shark too, but that can be forgiven slightly in as much as it wasn't meant to be good in the first place and fully understands this.

However, looking at my 2013 ratings, I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, Home Sweet Home, and VHS 2 more than You're Next... take from this what you will!