View Single Post
Old 10th August 2014, 11:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think there are very few directors who develop an obvious style within there first 2 or 3 features. Of the examples you give Tarantino is the only one I would accept.
I'm not sure that many people would have recognised Magnolia as coming from the same director as Hard Eight and Boogie Nights.

Its very easy with hindsight and a sufficient body of work to recognise the themes and styles of a directors work in their first couple of films but to claim to be able to dos so on the basis of 2 or 3 movies? Your obviously far smarter and culturally sensitive than me.
I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to. I do disagree however. Magnolia was very similar in style to Boogie nights. Not so much Hard eight but then that was cut to buggery but some of the style was still there. Certainly styles can evolve over time. There will be blood and The master are all from a more mature director but still bare the hallmarks of his work.

Guardians of the Galaxy is full of Gunns humor both in screenplay and visual jokes, he even threw the slugs from slither in one background scene as an in-joke. Yondu's Michael rooker) space pirates were re-written from the source material to fit gunns sensibilities and a lot of his friends and family are in the film. Gunns brand of humour appeared in all his scripts to some extent. Certainly it was a little watered down for scooby doo but Dawn of the Dead had a lot of his sense of humor in it. This carries through to guardians which is probably the best of the summer blockbusters this year.