View Single Post
Old 31st August 2014, 11:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Some recent screenings in the SShaw household:

The Fountain I picked this up along with Noah on Friday as it was the only part of Aronofonsky's work missing from my blu-ray collection. It's a film I really enjoy, but a film I don't fully understand. I think this was probably the fourth or fifth time I have seen the film since its original release and each time I watch it I discover a little bit more and with each step in my understanding I also like it a little bit more. Perhaps after another half dozen viewings I will finally get it. A blu-ray feature which allows one to watch the two interwoven strands separately might really help but, like that feature on the original Memento DVD that allowed it to be watched in chronological order, might destroy the magic.

The Nymph or, under its more literal title, Killer Mermaids. This Serbian film seems to have been uniformly panned by the Fright Fest crowd this year but while I found it to be of average execution and largely unoriginal (a bit of Jaws here, a bit of [insert slasher film here] there) I also found it to be a lot of fun.

Deadman Jarmusch directs Johnny Depp as poet William Blake in, I guess, a black and white art-house western. Fantastic! I can't help but wonder if Depp found his Tonto performance from this film.