View Single Post
Old 31st August 2014, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1959:
Jet Storm - Richard Attenborough stars in this British picture as a man out for revenge against a driver who accidentally killed his daughter. Directed by Cy Endfield and starring Stanley Baker together they would later make Zulu. Baker even mentions the Zulus a couple of times in this picture.

Operation Petticoat - A typical 50's Hollywood piece of fluff starring Cary Grant and Tony Curtis but it did make me laugh a few times.

Some Like it Hot - Great movie, you'd be forgiven for thinking this starred Cary Grant again with Tony Curtis so convincing is the latters impersonation of the former. Also stars Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe and George Raft....playing a gangster!

Sappy Bullfighters - The Three Stooges last theatrical short. The three were long past their heyday here, indeed Curly had died seven years earlier to be replaced by Shemp, an original Stooge, he would last a couple of years before he too would pass away to be replaced by 'Fake Shemp' and then Joe Besser.

Hiroshima Mon Amour - A little slow to be honest. The first 10 or 15 minutes taken up with shots of twisted metal and the effects of the bombing of that city in 1945.

Hercules Unchained - Steve Reeves second and last outing as the Greek Demigod. Again not a great movie but it was marginally better than the first.

Orfeu Negro - Winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Picture in 1959. The picture is wall to wall hip swiverling Brazilians...I was getting sea sick! Not Bad though.

The Diary of Anne Frank - Not a bad movie and it did have a few tense moments.

Carry on Nurse - The second Carry On movie and again one of the better ones.

On the Beach - A bit too soap opera but what a movie! and what a dark ending "There's still Time...Brother!"

Plan 9 From Outer Space - Bela Lugosi's final movie and one that has been called the worse movie ever and I have to agree. Best viewed as a comedy through a pair of beer goggles! Not an angora sweater in sight!

Carry on Teacher - The second Carry On of 1959, this one featuring a young Richard O'Sullivan and in an uncredited role, Boba Fett aka Jeremy Bulloch.