View Single Post
Old 31st August 2014, 09:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched Noah this afternoon. My second viewing and I am even less convinced. I think this is Aronofonsky's weakest film by a long chalk, but there is still enough in it that I can't bring myself to completely dismiss it.

Much more convincing was Uberto Pasaloni's Still Life which finally made it to my local Programmkino. Eddie Marsden plays John May, a council employee who is tasked with tracking down the friends and family of those who die alone. May is a loner who seems to live through his work, but unfortunately the care and attention to detail that he applies in each case and the respect and dignity he exhibits towards his clients is not shared by the cash strapped council and he is made redundant. The story follows him as he investigates his final case. The film is a wonderfully quiet and patient reflection on the impact that we, no matter how inconsequential we or others might judge us, have on those around us as we live our lives. It's also a darkly humorous film which is occasionally let down by the delivery of some of the (I assume) non-professional actors acting in minor roles and a rather obvious and sentimental ending. But for most of its running time it is excellent and Marsden is quite brilliant. I guess this already played in the U.K. a long time ago (it is almost a year since it featured at Venice), but if you have the chance go and see it. Recommended!

Edit: I just discovered that I am a little bit unfair on my local cinema. The film only recently completed its festival circuit, indeed the film was part of the Edinburgh International Film Festival in June. Still Life won't have a general release in the U.K. until December. Plenty of time for you to prepare

Last edited by SShaw; 31st August 2014 at 10:23 PM.