View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Here we go again!

Prepare to be outraged!!

"***Release update Salvatore Giuliano***
Unfortunately some last minute subtitling checks have taken slightly longer than originally anticipated so to ensure that these are completed to the highest standard we have decided to push the release date of this title back to September 29th."
I hope nobody's outraged, because we took full advantage of the unexpected supply of a textless version of the big Francesco Rosi documentary to improve a fair bit on the version on the Criterion disc.

The biggest differences:

1. No burned-in Italian subtitles whenever anyone speaks in English or French.
2. Film captions are now bilingual, so the subtitles don't need to break off from translating dialogue in order to translate the titles.
3. The onscreen Fellini quote is now presented bilingually, so the bottom of the text is no longer swamped by subtitles.
4. The onscreen Norman Mailer quote is now presented in the original English, so the clip from Lucky Lucianp no longer needs two simultaneous sets of subtitles, one to translate the Mailer quote and the other to translate the dialogue.

All of which involved more work than we'd anticipated (I assumed that we'd end up with the same version that Criterion used, and had scheduled accordingly), but I'm delighted with the end result.