View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2014, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I suspect Suzi may have been slightly sarcastic with the 'Prepare to be outraged' comment.
Oh, I know - but I thought I'd spell out exactly what the reason for this specific delay was, as it's a good one. Or rather, I could have asked the Italian rightsholders to simply send over the master that we were expecting, but it was immediately clear to me that the textless version offered significant opportunities for improvement, and it would have been a shame not to grab them.

Quote:
However, that seems like an awful lot of work which makes me glad I didn't buy the Criterion release.
Put it like this: I'm a lot more familiar with the documentary now than I was a fortnight ago! First of all, I had to go through it shot by shot transcribing all of the text and the timings, and then had to think about whether we simply wanted to copy how it was done on the Criterion disc or whether we could improve on it - and quite a lot of the time I was able to devise clear improvements, particularly with regard to reducing the number of subtitles by incorporating translations into the captions themselves.

(The downside is that Arrow's version of the doc is no longer 100% Italian friendly, but that was the case from the moment we removed the Italian subtitles. But it's still mostly Italian-friendly...)