View Single Post
Old 4th September 2014, 10:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default Is it Worth Buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 143900 Attachment 143901

Which is the better release. I know there is a big difference in price but i just want the best version because i love the film.

Transferwise I don't think there's much if a difference but the Criterion release has more in the way of extras.

The Criterion has this (taken from blu-ray.com):

Quote:
The Making of "The Night of the Hunter - an informative documentary that explores the production history of The Night of the Hunter. With the participation of producer Paul Gregory, second-unit director Terry Sanders, and authors Preston Neal Jones, F.X. Feeney, and Jeffrey Couchman. In English, not subtitled. (38 min, 1080i).

Simon Callow on Charles Laughton - in this exclusive interview, shot in 2010 in London, Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor, discusses Charles Laughton's life and career. In English, not subtitled. (11 min, 1080p).

Moving Pictures - a fifteen-minute documentary on The Night of the Hunter, originally broadcast on February 19, 1995, which features interviews with producer Paul Gregory, actors Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish, editor Robert Golden, art director Hilyard Brown, director of photography Stanley Cortez, and second-unit director Terry Sanders. In English, not subtitled. (15 min, 1080i).

The Ed Sullivan Show - an excerpt from an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show, from September 25, 1955, in which Peter Graves and Shelley Winters perform a scene that does not appear in the final version of The Night of the Hunter. In English, not subtitled. (4 min, 1080i).

Stanley Cortez - an interview, shot at the American Society of Cinematographers in 1984, in which director of photography Stanley Cortez discusses his work on The Night of the Hunter. In French and English, with optional English subtitles where necessary, and imposed French subtitles. (13 min, 1080i).

Davis Grubb Sketches - a collection of sketches. (1080p).

Theatrical Trailer - the original trailer for The Night of the Hunter. In English, not subtitled. (2 min, 1080p).

Commentary - a very informative commentary in which second-unit director Terry Sanders, film archivist Robert Gitt, film critic F.X. Feeney, and Preston Neal Jones, author of Heaven and Hell to Play With: The Filming of "The Night of the Hunter" discuss the production history of The Night of the Hunter, its reception and restoration, the film's message, Charles Laughton's fascinating life and career, etc.

Disc 2

Introduction - a wonderful and illuminating conversation, recorded exclusively for Criterion in 2010, with film archivist Robert Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin. The two gentlemen discuss the discovery and preservation of the material used to make Charles Laughton Directs "The Night of the Hunter", as well as their first impression of the film when they first saw it years ago. In English, not subtitled. (17 min, 1080p).

Charles Laughton Directs "The Night of the Hunter" - a fascinating, two-and-a-half-hour film that contains an enormous amount of outtakes and behind the scenes footage from the production of The Night of the Hunter. The film also contains plenty of information about Charles Laughton's life and career. In English, not subtitled. (159 min, 1080p).

Booklet - 30-page illustrated booklet containing Terrence Rafferty's essay "Holy Terror" (the author teaches at Princeton University) and Michael Sragow's essay "Downriver and Heavenward with James Agee".
whereas the Arrow has:

Quote:
Charles Laughton Directs 'The Night of the Hunter' (159:30)

Stanley Cortez Interview (12:55)

Trailer (1:38)

and a booklet
The main draw in my opinion is the 2 and a half hour documentary so you're covered with both releases