View Single Post
Old 9th September 2014, 07:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Curse of the Screaming Dead (1982)

The Curse of the Screaming Dead AKA: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates starts off as a slow, dialogue heavy road trip film in which a group of annoying friends are motor-homing it across the southern US drinking, hunting and incessantly bitching on at/about one another. They stop at a dilapidated confederate burial site and decide to make camp. However, the inhabitants of the graves have other ideas.

I've seen my fair share of low budget cheese-fests in which bad acting and ropey dialogue goes hand-in-hand. Therefore, it is something I often can (and do) endure ...up to a point anyway. The acting in Screaming Dead drops to an abysmal subterranean basement low with continuous wooden, stilted dialogue and awkward over the top deliveries to the extent that I often wanted to leap through the screen and forcibly gag all involved.

Happily, there are some zombies around to alleviate these painful exchanges of dialogue; unfortunately they are all unconvincing, rubber masked extras who stumble around in the dark allowing our group of incessantly annoying on screen 'friends' to briefly come across as ever-so-slightly less annoying whilst we are subjected to a barrage of cheap zombie kills. For dessert? A double helping of more cringe-worthy vocal exchanges.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread