View Single Post
Old 9th September 2014, 07:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I recall how many people said Mother of Tears was shite on it's release.

They were totally wrong.
I quite enjoyed Mother of Tears and it is in no way one of Argento's worst films, although it's easily the weakest of 'The Three Mothers' trilogy.

Dracula suffers from studio interference (just like Giallo did) and loads of really poor CGI. You never know, maybe all the hate for Dracula will have you going into it with rock-bottom expectations and you may therefore end up citing it as a masterpiece in film-making (especially the giant mantis!)

Here is a brief review I did of Dracula at the time:

Quote:
A plodding, meandering, mess of a story mixed with bland and uninspiring performances and some of the worst CGI I've seen in the last few years is how I'd sum up Dario Argento's take on the Dracula legend.

To be fair, I went in with low expectations. Having not made a decent film since 2001's Sleepless (and even that wasn't nearly as good as some of his earlier work), and having seen the trailers, I was expecting Argento's latest feature to be pretty uninspiring.

My presumptions were (unfortunately) proven to be correct. A shame, as I am a huge admirer of Argento's work; many of his films have captivated and enthralled me, and I rank some as highly as any classic within any genre of cinema... but, he really needs to pack up his director's chair and call it a day, before the bad start to outweigh the good.

Still, on a positive note, it is slightly better than Giallo... but that is like saying getting punched in the face is preferable to being kicked in the balls.