View Single Post
Old 11th September 2014, 05:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Lynch's films are always a little questionable, what with the man himself having gone on record to state that he has never attempted to make a horror film - however, I'd say that audience interpretation counts for a lot. I certainly consider his films to be more in tune with 'horror' than say, some annoying over-dramatic jump scares.

It's all down to interpretation though and there are good arguments on both sides, which is why I don't really like rigorous genre classification structures and am much more open to a broader outlook when looking at a film's genre.

Strangely enough where Lynch is concerned, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet currently occupy my 'horror' list whereas Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire don't. I'm maybe going to have to re-think that.
You're right that strict genre classification can be to constricting and, for example, what one person thinks is a science, another calls a horror – especially with films which leave a lot to the imagination. Because of their nightmarish content, this is why many of David Lynch's films (particularly those you listed) fall under the 'horror' umbrella – at least as far as I'm concerned expression