View Single Post
Old 12th September 2014, 04:51 PM
Active Cultist

Had to abbreviate my last post, this brings me up to date-

Act of Violence - A stunner of a noir from Fred Zinnerman. Post war angst was a bedrock of the genre post 45 and it was never more foregrounded than here as remorseless, shuffling Robert Ryan (most underrated noir fixture?) seeks revenge on community beacon Van Heflin (also brilliant) who betrayed him at a POW camp. At the core of the film - can a man be branded good or evil on the strength of one act, one decision? The moral back and forth never drags the gripping action. This movie proves some issues or at least the artistic treatment of them, never date. Essential.

The Blue Dahlia - Not bad, not brilliant, which considering it came from Raymond Chandlers pen is a little disappointing. I had a similar problem with The Big Sleep - too much plot, not enough trash. The best noirs are a blend of the two - here only William Bendiix's shell shocked vet, the odious 'house peeper' and the movies nastiest ever wife provide the requisite fun, the mechanics of the story tend to clunk a bit and I guessed the conclusion 10 minutes in.

Silver Lode - A lot of familiar noir faces also pop up with Stetsons on in Westerns. Same dilemmas, different chaps. Two of my favourites here playing to type - hard ass John Payne and lanky weasel Dan Dureya. Lots of fun this one with a serious anti blacklist message about the dangers of a mob mentality.

The Naked Spur - and another! A Jimmy Stewart/Anthony Mann effort with Janet Leigh and (again) a scene stealing Robert Ryan. This meanders a little but builds to a surprisingly vicious, then redemptive last 10 mins.

Kansas City Confidential - largely great heist gone wrong noir undermined by one too many plot contrivances (beautiful young trainee lawyer falls in love with craggy ole John Payne within two days and she just happens to be the daughter of Mr Big!). I'm being picky, this is great entertainment with the best team of hoods outside The Killers - Lee Van Cleef, Jack Elam and Neville Brand. I got this movie, on blu, for 3 euros while on holiday in Spain (under the title Cuatro Hombres) - looks amazing too.

Last edited by Handyman Joe; 12th September 2014 at 05:14 PM.