View Single Post
Old 5th October 2014, 09:19 AM
Active Cultist

I've watched a ridiculous amount of films over the past few days - first up an arty double bill, then a noir treble

3 Women - Putting aside what it all means (OK 3 stages of 1 women's psyche seen through 3 interacting characters, if that makes sense) this is a really enjoyable film - a real kick to see Carrie White and Wendy Torrance, sorry Spacek and Duvall back in their 70s heyday - both are brilliant. Lesson learned - unbroken sociables are only for guests.

Persona - Not as out there as I was expecting (after Inland Empire nothing is) but I can see how it changed the game back in the 60s. Looks incredible in this Criterion Blu ray, it's certainly compulsive, but, I have to say I wasn't blown away. Had the same experience with Marienbad - you feel you should be enjoying more than you actually are - a feeling of mild dumbness ensues. Will certainly be giving it another go though.

Kiss the Blood off My Hands - A three hander where each party seems to be in a different movie - tough moody Burt Lancaster is 100% noir, saintly Joan Fontaine is out of a period romance while Robert Newton, in full 'cor blimey chum' cockney mode has wandered in from a sub par Dickens adaptation (he did the same thing in Odd Man Out - Bill Sikes aside, he's just too ham for my taste) As you can guess this film doesn't hang together.

Sorry Wrong Number - Stanwyck at her most shrewish and unlikeable steals the film from Lancaster, who always seems awkward playing schmos. Brilliant hard core ending justifies the countless flashbacks and momentum shifts.

Follow Me Quietly - 60 ho hum minutes garnished with a few nice touches. Too much time spent on a wisecracking romance which plays like a bad Billy Wilder tribute. More time spent on the killer and this could've been a contender.